First and foremost being positive is a choice. I didn’t say it would be easy; however it can be a behavioral change that will become a new habit. Some may ask how do I practice being positive when our world is filled with so much of the opposite? I think it’s more than just a mind set it has to be accompanied by actions and intentional conduct.
Staying positive when negative things happen is going to take some effort and often proves to be challenging. There are ways to keep from allowing negative situations to control your emotional state and well being. I hope after you have finished this blog article you will use the tips listed to help you stay positive in negative situations.
At some point in our life we should think about ways to convert our thinking and be purposeful about staying positive. That is if we want to live in peace and not be overtaken by our unforeseen circumstances. I think we get caught up in the moment when something negative happens. Many times we don’t have any control over things that occur. The world is filled with people and their problems.
It’s probably safe to say we have experienced someone projecting a negative connotation due to being unhappy. Sort of like the person in the car behind you blowing their horn as soon as the traffic light changes or the person in your staff meeting that cut you off in mid sentence.
What’s important is not allowing your emotions to dictate the outcome from their unpredictable behavior. How do we do that? Start by being aware of your level of tolerance. Knowing how much you can take before you need to walk away or being able to agree just to bring peace is paramount. When you agree it doesn’t make the other person right, it only allows for things to shift and calm down.
I talk a lot to my clients about awareness. If you can discern your own level of patience you can manage the way you filter your response. Another thing I say often to my clients as a Life Coach is “Knowledge is Power” meaning if I am aware of negative attitudes coming from a person, things should not catch me off guard. I mean some odd behaviors are expected because that’s how they roll.
Allowing prior knowledge to empower you and not keep you confused is the key. After all you had the gut feeling about what could happen, because similar things have taken place. Using knowledge as power helps you avoid reaching a boiling point and opens an avenue of when you need to exit the situation.
We are fully aware that gliding through this life without experiencing something negative happening is a false narrative. Life will throw us a curve ball and we will have disappointments as long as we are here on this earth. The good news is that we don’t have to allow our circumstance to dictate our happiness.
Practice These Steps When Negative Things Happen:
· Adopt an optimistic mind set by practicing positive self talk with words that empower and uplift you.
· Begin a new routine by learning to let things go [read my Blog "Letting Go & Living Free"]
· When negativity strikes and it will; don’t allow it to take over your emotions. Exit the situation.
· Don’t turn a temporary incident into a permanent situation.
· Remember we can hold on to something negative that happened, or we can choose to press forward releasing
ourselves from it. We always have a CHOICE.
· Lastly practice these steps and you will have better tools
when managing the affects negative occasions present.
Quick Tips to Staying Positive When Negative Things Happen
1. Remember what you are going through is not permanent & it will pass in due time.
2. You have the power within you to adopt a positive mind set by choosing good over evil.
3. Read something inspiring that will change your mood.
4. Listen to a song that will uplift your spirits.
5. Go to a quiet place away from the negativity and refresh your mind.
6. Learn from your experiences and use them as lessons to empower you moving forward.
7. Stay in touch with positive friends and family that will motivate you.
8. Begin each day with positive affirmations that reassure your peace of mind and give you hope.
It takes perseverance to stay positive when negative things happen. Be determined to spread positive vibes wherever you go and to those you meet.
I will leave you with this scripture in Philippians chapter 4 verse 8 which gives instructions of how to think positive.
[ Philippians 4:8 ] “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”
Let me know if this blessed you by leaving a comment or a by liking my blog post if you so desire. Also you may share this post and your prayer request. Remember to view my Blog Style page on my website to see my other full Blog posts.